Sunday, January 31, 2010

Jan. 31: The Job Starts Tomorrow!
















(Weather update: Foggy and warm +9C today. Robins nesting, daffodils in bloom, warmest Vancouver January on record.)






We've been roaming around the region for 3 weeks now and have become pretty familiar with Vancouver, which can be strikingly beautiful in sunny times and yet dismal in the rain. You never know which city will show up tomorrow! But February 1 seems to be a major turning point for the Games and for me personally. In the big picture there are more uniformed Games staff on the streets, more road closures, and much more obvious security --- such as Coast Guard ships in the harbour and floating barriers around sensitive waterfront buildings.
For me, it will be the first day of paid work in a long time. I have my games credentials and my spiffy uniform and will report Monday morning for orientation and shift assignments. But because of security restraints, I won't be able to post any pictures or information that isn't available to the general public on the streets. I'll see what I can do....

In the meantime, here are some photos that haven't been posted in the past. They all reflect the mood here.

No comments:

Post a Comment