Friday, March 8, 2013

TRAVELS TO MY AUNT: EVA THOMPSON 1924-2013

These past four days have been the most intense and surreal travel I can remember. On Monday I learned that my last aunt, and the last link to my immigrant heritage, had died. Frantic arrangements made, the next day I flew from Cancun to Detroit after a sequence of walk-ferry-shared minivan (collectivo)- bus-bus-Airbus-car pickup. On Wednesday friends and  family attended the service/luncheon/internment. On Thursday I flew back to Cancun and made my way back to Pat on Isla Mujeres, reversing the sequence of transport. Although much of my life and family have been centered around Detroit, it felt like I was coming home to ---- Mexico! Call it Dash To Detroit, or March Sadness, the whole trip now feels unreal/surreal, as if I had slipped into a parallel universe and then returned to real life.

But the main story is that of Eva Camille Thompson, a woman ahead of her time. Single parent, working mother, advocate for women's place in society, university grad, animal guardian, world traveller, ball of energy. "Lady In Red" ---- emigrating from Russia, favouring  bright red clothes and hair,  insisting on her opinions. The last of 4 siblings, including my mother, who formed the top of the family pyramid in legends, values, and role models. Her passing at 88 was not unexpected but the sense of loss of the connection to our cherished past is huge, like a permanent eclipse of our family's sun.

Ironies of the day included my airline's name that could be Eva's motto ----- Spirit! And my own Circle of Life turned later in the day when I visited the newest member of our family ---- my great-great nephew Gavin Murphy Cairns, born February 13. Unlike my aunt Eva, a lucky kid born into a caring prosperous life (with 7 grandparents!!). And I have to mention another introduction ---- new rescue dog Zeke Cookson.












It was heartwarming to reunite with far flung relatives, even on such a sad occasion. It was heartbreaking to  witness daughter Tracy's and son-in-law Randy's grief. It was worth all the effort to be there. But home is where the heart is, and seeing Pat waiting for my return on the dock at sunset was all the reward I needed. Life is short, live it like an Eva!







No comments:

Post a Comment