Friday, August 10, 2012

A BYPASS ON THE ROAD OF LIFE

I've always said I'm up for new adventures, but this one is the most unexpected EVER. This is being written from St. Mary's Hospital in Kitchener where I'm waiting for heart bypass surgery. I know, I know ---- what the heck??

I've had dull aches in my left arm for months now (off and on, goes away in minutes)  but I always thought it was too much coffee in the morning, or too much hard labour, or even indigestion because there has also been acidy stomach. But no chest pains, no shortness of breath or other  standard warning signs. In the meantime I had been healthy and active as ever. Tuesday the arm ache was pretty bad so I stopped in at the local hospital, in little Wiarton. EKG confirmed I have heart damage, and I've been in blue gowns ever since!

On Thursday I was transferred by ambulance the 3 hours to this heart-specialized hospital. Then a cardiac catheter was inserted in an artery and dye sent through to my heart. The heart itself is excellent but one of the major veins is heavily blocked. The best theory is that it is hereditary from my dad, who died of heart disease. Surgery won't happen for a few days because mine is not an emergency case ----- so I'm stuck wandering the halls but can't go outside for fresh air. That's about the worst thing that could happen to me, like keeping me in jail.


Pat has been an angel, smuggling in fresh fruit and veggies and being devoted to us. It is an awful situation and a total bizarre surprise. I fully expect to have the fix and be outta here by next weekend. Thanks for all your good wishes and prayers.



No comments:

Post a Comment