Wednesday, October 31, 2012

25 X 36

25 years ago today I took possession of 36 Wineva Avenue in Toronto. I never aspired to home ownership, I had no idea about the real estate market, I had no experience as a landlord, I was only marginally solvent for a mortgage! But I had rented at 39 Wineva and loved the idea of living half-a-block from the beach. I had bid $5000 over the asking price on Sept. 18 (just before going to Michigan for the wedding of my nephew John to Shawn). In the property frenzy of that time, I had never even seen the inside of the place ---- take it or leave it!

So it was all a fluke. I got to work putting in a basement apartment (no permit) and then dividing up the top floor (ditto) after gutting the whole space. A learning curve with the steepness and challenge of Mount Everest. I was the worst combination ---- a first-time amateur who didn't know what he didn't know. There were flaws. mistakes, and a few injuries. But it worked out as a place to live and the rentals are my main income source. (The experiences I have had with dozens of tenants in 25 years is a whole other book.)










So these are pictures of pictures, way before digital and internet. I miss the place and the city, 4 years now after moving out. It has gotten a bit worn and shabby on the outside, embarrassing me when I see the neighbours.  So the next 25 years might include being back there and starting over. Book your visits now at www.youcanstayat36ifyouhelpwiththework.com!




No comments:

Post a Comment