Tuesday, October 30, 2012

WALKING WITH SANDY

We were hit pretty hard by hurricane/tropical storm Sandy. Yesterday was my much delayed follow-up appointment with my heart surgeon ---- 8 weeks after the fact! He thought my healing and recovery have been "perfect"; is that word overused?? It was great to have my impressions confirmed and it may be the last time I see him. But we had to drive through three hours of Early Sandy rain and howling crosswinds. Even the Mennonite horse carts were down to no frills.

We followed up a Kitchener Kijiji ad and  got a great deal on a treadmill while we were there. But the ride home in the dark was a white-knuckler in the rain so hard it looked like sheets. Even worse, we got home and the power was off in the whole region. Our primitive security pack was a fluorescent flashlight from Pat's dad (circa 1980), the backpack burner that I've carried for decades, a mini freebie radio (batteries borrowed from a tv remote), and bowls of water gleaned from our faucets! Even I thought it was scraping the barrel.









So first thing this morning we went to town to get our first-ever generator. Dozens of fellow darksters had beaten us to the punch and Pat had to stand guard over the last one on the shelves! This blog is being written with power supplied by the generator we have named "Sandy" --- the power may be off for days. And I can do my rehab walks indoors, watching the whitecaps while whistling whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment