Sunday, July 10, 2022

NO APPEAL ON PELEE

The foxtail flower is more colourful and vibrant than the real fox tail these days. We hope both stay healthy and well nourished.


Another road trip, this time a little further with overnights. Car shows are back, especially in small towns like Tillsonburg. A white Polara parked right in front of us. How did the driver know I had that same car but in a medium turquoise? Also note the T-bird in Emberglow with a parchment interior: a rare and favourite colour combo. At another town, Best In Show for me was this ultra rare Imperial convertible. For Pat, the unique period houndstooth pattern on a '68 Camaro.




Arriving in Leamington, the landmark Heinz chimney was across the street. Over 100 years making ketchup. My dad and I worked overnight shifts catching hampers of tomatoes in peak season. He had to last weeks because he was laid off at his normal factory job. I lasted 1 night. Who's my hero?

The main objective of the trip was Pelee Island. An iconic, even mythical place since my childhood but never seen. We've been trying to get out there for years! Even in the rain our expectations were high. Things went downhill on arrival. No buzz on the small main strip of scarce shops and history, not even a simple coffee outlet. Mud roads all around the perimeter, no sign of locals in daily life. Some interest, such as the most southerly school in Canada. But major disillusionment about Pelee Island ---- the thrill is gone. 





Going home through my home town the point of interest is the new Gordie Howe bridge under con$$truction. And I was reminded of a boyhood phenomenon ---- masses of what I called Mayflies, also called fish flies or shad flies. Millions hatch at once out of nowhere. Sidewalks become slick and cars get accessorized. Yuk. 



Shout out to warm, adrenalin memories of July 7 in a far-off galaxy long long ago. Go bulls!

Back up the hill, the smallest monarch caterpillar we've ever spotted. Proof of life!

My girlfriend Iris has departed. But at least I've got Rose and Lily...





No comments:

Post a Comment