Sunday, March 30, 2014

FISHIN' & WALKIN' BUT NOT SURE ABOUT HUGGIN'

Up at Kemble, the Mennonites rely on their horses while the ice fishers are still out on their sleds. We expect we'll soon read the annual news about guys crashing through the lake ice as it gets thinner. At the barn, the snow is still piled up to the roof but the ice is breaking up on the bay (reread previous sentence!) The mice have had the run of the house but they are literally trapped in the kitchen!

Back in Toronto we have already seen robins but the formations just off shore look like the icebergs that gashed the Titanic. During this cold weather I've been craving my treadmill power walking so I found another good used one on Craigslist. Now if I could just figure out all the settings such as "Hill Walk" vs. "Climb Mt. Everest".








Here's a question for all my fellow tree-huggers out there. The first tree picture below shows a skinny Norway Maple between some cars, about 1991. Today, the garages next door are gone and the cars are different, but notice how big the tree has grown since; it's about 8 feet in diameter and 90 feet high!




 I love trees but the roots are bulging so much that the concrete is lifting and rain water now drains into my garage instead of away. The roots have reached the house foundation and across to the neighbour's driveway. It`s also harder to clear snow, and then there`s the liability if someone trips on the raised edge. The arbori$t advises that the tree can be declared a "problem' and be removed completely. But it can't be thinned out more than 30% (more might be fatal).




 So here`s the question. Would you send this tree to the Great Chipper in the sky, or would you let it grow so big it crashes into the garage, like this one nearby? Let me know asap, I think it just grew another foot!


1 comment:

  1. I had a tree in the courtyard of my condo. The roots went into the crock of the sump pump and the foundation. It was a good source of shade but had to go before the problem had serious and costly consequences. I am sure your gardener has already made a decision. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete