Sunday, April 6, 2014

BACK TO THE FUTURA (SECOND OF 2 TODAY)



I figured the ice cream truck up for auction still had some popsicles in it, so I rushed to get a bidder’s card. Then I saw the gorgeous green Fairlane, and then the immaculate Ranchero, etc., etc. What’s a guy supposed to do? A red ’63 Falcon Futura convertible also turned a few heads, including mine (car guys know that the first Mustang was built on the Falcon frame). This one had a 6-cylinder with 2-speed automatic trans, power steering, www (before the internet, that meant “wide white walls”), fender skirts and more. Very rare car, made in Canada. The catalogue description was mucho interesting and best of all --- no reserve price: it would go to the highest bidder, today.







Oops, I did it again! You guessed it. With Pat nudging me on, we bought another red convertible!! The Auctioneer announced “What a steal” and the Spotter Kevin Costner look-alike shook my hand. Is it a  coincidence that my bid number was 2410, the year is 2014? Big grins broke out as the thrill set in. It’s a straight, clean, top-of-the-line (for 1963!) Futura with buckets, spotlights, AM, power top, and only 98,000 miles. That’s less than 2,000 miles per year on average, y’all   (it’s from Georgia). 







People were still crowding around it when we jumped in, pushed the radio buttons, put up the top, and generally got jiggy with it. I figure my mom and dad were in on this one, as they are in all good things. It was MY arm that went up with the bids but truly it is Pat who made sure. What a girl. That makes 3 red convertibles, but who’s counting?!





2 comments:

  1. She's a beauty! (The Falcon Futura... but so is your wife!) Congrats on the new car! Looking forward to a ride in the near future, but we'll probably have to leave Gavin at home. I don't think the LATCH carseat restraint system was invented in 1963 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now THAT is a classic car!!!!!

    ReplyDelete