Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year!! (But Why Florida??)





















If you haven't guessed by now, we have arrived in Florida for the next 3 months. It has been a beautiful springlike day that felt like summer, with temps in the 60'sF and sharp sunlight. Only the car looked winter-weary and that was rectified pretty quick with a bucket wash in a parking lot.


People have said many times ---- "you and Florida don't match". I think that means Florida isn't very exotic or challenging like most of my past adventures. But we are still searching for a wintering place and can't rule out anywhere. And as long as we have a cat, winters in Morocco or New Zealand or Australia are not practical. Florida is a short drive away and a car makes the whole state explorable. So the next many blogs will be from the wierd and wonderful Sunshine State.

My first trip to Florida was at age 15 when I visited an aunt and cousin in Miami. Florida was a sort of promised Land as mass tourism to the rest of the globe hadn't yet begun. I was in awe of Lum's HotDogs Steamed in Beer, cool cars parked on the sand, and being able to spend the night in a sleeping bag on the beach. The Florida Welcome Station used to have a free carwash bay to hose off that northern grime. I guess too many cheap guys like me used it as a personal shower, because now they only give out free maps and a little OJ or GJ.


So the New Year is ringing in with the sound of Harleys on A1A, and a parade lap around town with the top down. That's new for me, and I hope all of you have a fun and healthy 2011, with something new to make you smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment