Sunday, June 3, 2012

JACK MURPHY 1928-2012









Jack Murphy, my only brother-in-law, passed away yesterday. Because Jack was 18 years older than me, he seemed at times an uncle, a brother, even a father figure --- but always a large part of my life. When I first was aware of him, he was a typical male of the time --- a smoker, drinker, carouser. But as a paratrooper, he was the first person I ever knew who jumped out of a plane. He was the first person I knew who had a tattoo --- way ahead of the current fad --- it said "Mother" on his forearm. He was a star amateur and professional rugby and football player. Then over the years he evolved through husband, dutiful son-in-law, father of 4, hunter, trailer camper, lifelong Chevrolet employee, golfer, and grandfather. He could exude Irish charm but unleash Irish temper, often on the same occasion. In the golden era of our small family he would preside over Christmas gatherings and regale with memories old and new.

My most vivid personal memory of Jack was my first driving experience, and my first traffic ticket! He had constant access to any new Chevy and I was already car crazy at 14. The sensational Corvair had just come out and he had one when my family visited in Garden City, Michigan. Base 2-door, peasoup green, dash-mounted automatic 4 cylinder. He said let's take it for a spin and once we were out of sight of my sister, he let me drive, at 14 and unlicenced. I could only drive slowly but that caught the attention of a cop who pulled us over on the deserted backroad. Jack tried to charm his way out of it but in the end I was ticketed and Jack took the ticket. To this day I don't know what the charge would have been or how much it cost, and my sister never knew that it happened. As in much of his life, Jack had good intentions that went wrong or were misinterpreted.

His devoted wife Ollie predeceased him 22 years earlier but his children Pat, Jan, Karen, and John have cared for him to the end in very trying circumstances. Rest In Peace Jack Murphy.





1 comment:

  1. Great pictures and great memories. Thanks for sharing. Love, Christy

    ReplyDelete